We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Oxford walks are plenty in number, with plenty to explore both within the historical city and outside it. Oxfordshire is brimming with beautiful countryside. These are two walking routes near Oxford.
Walk One: River and Stream
This leisurely walk from the Oxford Civic Society takes ramblers along the Mill Stream Walk.
The route follows the stream which powered the city’s mill and returns alongside the River Thames.
Start: Bonn Square
Duration: 60-75 minutes
1. From Bonn Square walk to your right, 50 metres towards New Road. Cross the road at the zebra crossing and walk downhill along Castle Street, with County Hall to your right.
2. Turn right at the Castle Tavern into Paradise Street and follow it past Paradise Square to your left.
3. Cross the bridge over Castle Mill Stream – the Norman tower of the Castle in on your right – turn immediately left on Woodin’s Way and double back on yourself to walk along the Millstream Path with the stream on your left.
4. Walk beside the stream and after crossing it turn right to continue on the path – so the stream on your right and housing on your left.
5. Turn left where the housing ends and immediately right to pass through a passage beside the housing signed as 1-14 Abbey Place. This leads you to a car park.
6. Walk ahead across the car park to the main road (Thames Street/Oxpens Road).
7. Turn right along the pavement and walk along Oxpens Road for a few metres (crossing the stream in so doing) and cross via the light-controlled crossing.
8. Double back to re-cross the stream, then turn right down the pedestrian path and walk south along the path, with the stream to your right and housing to your left. Continue for several hundred metres.
9. When you reach the green painted pedestrian bridge across the stream, turn left (signposted ‘Folly Bridge’) and follow the curving, rising path round until it brings you onto the ornate iron bridge that crosses the Thames.
10. Cross the bridge and immediately turn sharp left and follow the path down to the Thames path. Turn left and pass under the iron bridge.
11. Continue upstream along the Thames path, with the river to your right until you pass under the bridge carrying the railway.
12. Continue, passing the boatyard on the far side, and pass over the bridge that takes you to Osney Lock.
13. Continue northwards until the riverside path joins East Street. Walk along East Street, beside the river.
14.Continue to the end of East Street, where turn left and immediately right to climb nine steps and cross a stream to join Botley Road.
Walk Two: Oxford Green Spaces Circular Walk
This walk links Warneford Meadow (a haven for wildlife) to Trap Grounds (six acres of reedbed, ponds and woodlands) and Oxpens Meadow (a grassy flood plain)
The route was created by Friends of Warneford Meadow, Friends of the Trap Grounds, Friends of Oxpens Meadow and CPRE Oxford City with assistance from The Ramblers’ Association to increase awareness of Oxford’s Green Spaces.
Start: Warneford Meadow (OX4 1PF)
Distance: Nine miles (but can be split into three shorter sections)
1. Warneford Meadow: From the end of Hill Top Road on the grass area by the entrance to Jack Howarth House, enter Warneford Meadow, turn left, follow the path around the meadow, passing right of care home buildings and left at the mini roundabout to exit onto the main road, at traffic lights, cross to the north side.
2. At Warneford Lane, turn left.
3. At Cheney Lane, enter gateway on right (not school entry) and skirt back of Cheney School playground, Brookes University and reservoir keeping left of Centre for Sport.
4. At Headington Hill Footbridge, cross and turn right on the footpath to the top of the hill, then left.
5. At Pullens Lane, turn left into Cuckoo Lane alongside the stone wall, to Marston Road, cross, turn right, then left to King’s Mill Lane.
6. Follow the ‘Mesopotamia’ walk (University Parks) between river channels for 0.5 miles, then left over the bridge, then right to cross cycle track and onto the path.
7. At main University Parks area turn right to follow Cherwell River.
8. At the pond, bear left around the pond, left at T-crossing, then right.
9. Exit University Parks and cross Norham Gardens into Fyfield Road, to Norham Road,
10. Go right 10 yds, then cross left into lane, after 100 yds, left through a stone archway into Park Town.
11. Follow path and road, bearing left to cross Banbury Road at the pedestrian lights.
12. Go left then right into North Parade, continue across Winchester Road to Church Walk, to Woodstock Road
13. Cross and turn right for 0.5 miles, then left into Frenchay Road.
14. Cross bridge over Oxford Canal, turn left down to canalside and Trap Grounds on your right
15. Walk circuit within and return to Oxford Canal Towpath.
16. Turn right for 1.25 miles and follow the sign to Hythe Bridge Street.
17. Cross at pedestrian traffic lights available to the right. (If required, turn left for the city centre, right for the railway station).
18. Go down steps to Fisher Row, and follow Mill Stream Walk to steps up to Park End Street.
19. Cross and continue on the walk to St.Thomas Street.
20. Cross to Paradise Street as far as a road bridge. Do not bear left but continue alongside the stream to the footbridge and follow to Thames Street / Oxpens Road.
21. Traverse to Thames main channel then turn left on the riverside to the footbridge, cross the river, and continue on the opposite bank to Folly Bridge.
22. Cross and turn left towards the pub ‘The Head of the River’, walk behind it and through gates into Christ Church Meadow.
23. Go right for 150 yds, turn left into ‘The New Walk’ to Christ Church College, turn right into Broad Walk’, at far end exit left into Rose Lane.
24. Turn right across the front of Botanic Gardens, turn left up steps and right onto Magdalen Bridge, across River Cherwell.
25. Then cross via traffic island to the north side, turn right into St.Clement’s Street, then turn left into York Place.
26. Follow round S-bend and walk forward to the riverside, turn right and then left to the gateway to Angel & Greyhound Meadow.
27. Enter and turn right along riverside and exit by the second footbridge on the right, then turn left along the riverside path.
28. Turn right into Cave Street, after first building turn left into Dudley Gardens.
29. At the path junction turn left back to the riverside path, turn right to Cherwell Street to Headington Hill junction.
30. Cross via traffic lights and turn right alongside Park fence into Morrell Avenue.
31. After c.150 yds pass through the iron gate into South Park, cross aiming for principal grass gap high up between trees, to reach gate beyond play area into Warneford Lane.
32. Cross near the roundabout and enter Divinity Road, turn left into Hill Top Road, at the far end, enter Warneford Meadow by Jack Howarth House.
Source: Read Full Article