LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Nevada hotel that was fined for hosting a Trump campaign event in defiance of coronavirus restrictions sued the state and the city of Las Vegas over the health mandates.
The lawsuit filed by Ahern Hotel and Convention Center in Clark County District Court Monday also names Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak and Las Vegas planning director Robert Summerfield as defendants, The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.
The company, which held an “Evangelicals for Trump” event earlier this month, claims in the lawsuit that Sisolak’s directive limiting gatherings to 50 people represents “disparate treatment” of Ahern and similar businesses.
The lawsuit says there is no rational basis that a hotel or convention center should be treated differently than restaurants and casinos, which are allowed to operate at 50% capacity.
The lawsuit asks the court to declare the ban on gatherings of more than 50 people invalid and unenforceable.
The lawsuit also seeks to force the governor to amend the directive to allow hotels, convention centers and restaurants to host events, conferences or meetings if they meet the standards under a phase of Nevada’s reopening plan.
Sisolak’s office declined to comment. A spokesman said the city does not comment on pending or ongoing litigation.
For most people, the new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. For some — especially older adults and people with existing health problems — it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and death.
The number of infections is thought to be far higher because many people have not been tested, and studies suggest people can be infected with the virus without feeling sick.
But why? Travelers are flocking to Airbnb, Vrbo more than hotels during COVID-19 pandemic
Yikes: Las Vegas casinos a likely hotspot for COVID-19 spread, according to ProPublica investigation
Source: Read Full Article