‘The best the travel world has to offer’ named in prestigious awards: Italy is the No1 country, Emirates beats BA to claim the long-haul airline gong and Heathrow gets the airport prize
- Conde Nast Traveller UK readers voted in a huge range of travel categories, from countries to hotels and more
- The U.S.’s 50th state, Hawaii, was voted as the best island in the world for white sand beaches
- The luxury Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park in London was revealed as the best business hotel in the UK
The best country in the world is Italy.
That’s according to the annual Conde Nast Traveller UK Awards 2018, which honours ‘the best that the travel world has to offer’. The categories also include hotels, airlines, ski resorts, islands and architecture.
Italy was picked as the best country for its fine food and scenery, while Norwegian was lauded as the best short-haul carrier, Emirates as the top long-haul airline and London’s Heathrow pipped Changi to the post as the world’s best airport.
Italy, pictured, was named as the best country in the world in the 21st Conde Nast Traveller UK Awards
Norwegian was lauded as the best short-haul carrier, beating easyJet into second place
Soaring to success: London’s Heathrow pipped Changi to the post to win the best airport category
In the ‘best UK city category’, London ruled the roost, while Paris was voted as the best ‘overseas’ metropolis.
What’s more, it’s home to ‘the best overseas hotel’ – the ritzy ‘palace-rated’ Le Bristol Paris.
Hawaii was voted as the best island in the world for white sand beaches, while the Greek Islands took home the award for being the best island chain overall.
Holland America Line, meanwhile, claimed the bragging rights in the big ship cruise operator ranking, while Seabourn took home the award in the small ship category.
Emirates was voted as the best long-haul airline in the world in the awards. Pictured is one of the carrier’s 777s
British Airways was runner-up in the long-haul carrier category, with travellers pleased with the in-flight experience
The luxurious Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire was voted as the best UK holiday hotel by Conde Nast Traveller readers
In the ‘best UK city category’, London ruled the roost, while Paris was voted as the best ‘overseas’ metropolis
CONDÉ NAST TRAVELLER 21ST ANNUAL READERS’ TRAVEL AWARDS 2018 – THE RESULTS
- Winner: Italy
- Runner Up: Greece
- Winner: Greek Islands
- Runner Up: Maldives
BEST UK CITY
- Winner: London
- Runner Up: Edinburgh
BEST OVERSEAS CITY
- Winner: Paris
- Runner Up: Rome
BEST SKI RESORT
- Winner: Val-d’Isère, France
- Runner Up: Whistler, Canada
BEST UK HOLIDAY HOTEL
- Winner: The Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire
- Runner Up: Soho Farmhouse, Oxfordshire
BEST UK BUSINESS HOTEL
- Winner: Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London
- Runner Up: Rosewood, London
BEST OVERSEAS BUSINESS HOTEL
- Winner: Le Bristol Paris, France
- Runner Up: The Peninsula Hong Kong, Hong Kong
BEST EUROPE, TURKEY & RUSSIA HOTEL
- Winner: Hotel Du Cap-Eden-Roc, Antibes, France
- Runner Up: La Réserve Paris, France
BEST AMERICAN & CARIBBEAN HOTEL
- Winner: One&Only Palmilla, Los Cabos, Mexico
- Runner Up: Eden Rock – St Barths, St Barths
BEST MIDDLE EAST, AFRICA & THE INDIAN OCEAN HOTEL
- Winner: Belmond Mount Nelson, Cape Town, South Africa
- Runner Up: Singita Sabi Sand, Kruger, South Africa
BEST ASIA & THE INDIAN SUBCONTIENT HOTEL
- Winner: The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India
- Runner Up: The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, Mumbai, India
BEST AUSTRALASIA & THE SOUTH PACIFIC HOTEL
- Winner: The Brando, French Polynesia
- Runner Up: Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, French Polynesia
BEST AIRLINE – SHORT-HAUL HOLIDAY
- Winner: Norwegian
- Runner Up: EasyJet
BEST AIRLINE – LONG-HAUL HOLIDAY
- Winner: Emirates
- Runner Up: British Airways
BEST BUSINESS AIRLINE
- Winner: Emirates
- Runner Up: Singapore Airlines
- Winner: Heathrow Airport, London
- Runner Up: Changi Airport, Singapore
BEST CRUISE LINES – LARGE SHIPS
- Winner: Holland America Line
- Runner Up: Cunard Line
BEST CRUISE LINES – SMALL SHIPS
- Winner: Seabourn Cruise Line
- Runner Up: Silversea Cruises
BEST TOUR OPERATORS
- Winner: The Turquoise Holiday Company
- Runner Up: Kuoni
BEST SPECIALIST TOUR OPERATORS
- Winner: Scott Dunn
- Runner Up: Healing Holidays
BEST VILLA RENTAL COMPANIES
- Winner: The Thinking Traveller
- Runner Up: Tuscany Now & More
BEST UK HOTEL SPAS
- Winner: The Spa, Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, Hampshire
- Runner Up: Spa Village Bath, The Gainsborough Bath Spa, Bath
BEST OVERSEAS HOTEL SPAS
- Winner: Thalassa Spa, Anassa, Cyprus
- Runner Up: Vair Spa, Borgo Egnazia, Puglia, Italy
BEST DESTINATION SPA
- Winner: Lanserhof Tegernsee, Bavaria, Germany
- Runner Up: The Original FX Mayr, Maria Wörth, Austria
BEST ISLAND FOR BEACHES
- Winner: Hawaii
BEST CITY FOR CULTURE
- Winner: Rome
BEST COUNTRY FOR PEOPLE
- Winner: Thailand
BEST CITY FOR ARCHITECTURE
- Winner: York
THE WORLD’S TOP SIX
- Winner: Greek Islands
- Runners Up: Lanserhof Tegernsee in Germany, The Oberoi Udaivilas in India, The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in India, Hotel Du Cap-Eden-Roc in France and One&Only Palmilla in Mexico
Val-d’Isère in France was declared the best ski resort by readers. The spot offers sublime scenery, luxury accommodation and fun-fuelled apres-ski
The Brando, a white sand island resort in French Polynesia, was named as the best hotel in Australasia and the South Pacific
Helping holidaymakers flawlessly plan their vacations from start to finish, The Turquoise Holiday Company was named the best tour operator with Scott Dunn winning in the specialist category. It fixes unique luxury tours to spots including Mauritius and Madagascar.
If you’re a culture vulture, then put a visit to Rome on your to-do list – it was declared the best city for culture.
It’s Thailand that apparently has the ‘best people’, though.
Meanwhile, York in England was deemed the best city for architecture – and no wonder. It has a mammoth Gothic cathedral and stunning neoclassical buildings.
The results of the annual Condé Nast Traveller Readers’ Travel Awards, now in its 21st year, were announced on Monday at the Ham Yard Hotel in London.
The full results will be revealed in the October issue of the magazine, on sale from September 6.
- Visit www.mailtravel.co.uk for great travel deals.
The luxury Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park in London was revealed as the best business hotel in the UK
Paris, with its beautiful architecture, famous landmarks and fine food, was voted as the best overseas metropolis
Paris is home to ‘the best overseas hotel’ – the ritzy ‘palace-rated’ Le Bristol Paris, pictured
Source: Read Full Article