We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Holidays to Turkey and Poland are now off the cards for British jet-setters.
Shapps made the announcement on Twitter today as he delivered the latest weekly update to British travel arrangements.
The Caribbean Netherlands (Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba) have also been axed from the ‘safe’ list.
Anyone travelling back from these destinations to the UK will have to self-isolate for 14 days from 4am on October 3.
Shapps tweeted today: “TRAVEL CORRIDOR UPDATE: The latest data indicates we need to remove Turkey, Poland, and Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba from the #TravelCorridor list this week.
“This means if you arrive from these destinations from 4am Saturday 3 October, you will need to self-isolate.”
The minister continued: “You MUST self-isolate if you enter the UK from a non-exempt country – from tomorrow, we’re increasing the penalties for people who refuse to do so to a maximum of £10,000 for repeat offenders.”
Paul Charles, CEO of The PC Agency, tweeted: “It’s interesting to note that the #Turkey 14-day positive infections figure has always been between 24 and 28 cases /100,000 in the last month.
“A highly unusual range considering the more extreme swings in most other countries over the last four weeks.”
The sudden addition of Turkey to the quarantine list may well come as a shock to many.
Travel expert Simon Calder told BBC estimated that 10,000 British holidaymakers are probably in Turkey right now.
Many will likely be scrambling to get back before Saturday to avoid having to quarantine.
“It’s a messy messy business,” said Calder.
This is a breaking story. More to follow.
Source: Read Full Article