Spain flights: What documentation do you need to travel to Spain post-Brexit on holidays?

Spain announce travel ban for UK flights amid coronavirus strain

Spain holidays have ridden a wild rollercoaster ride this year. The country is not on the travel corridor list so anyone returning from the mainland, Balearics or Canary Islands must quarantine on their return. What’s more, Spain has blocked UK flights until January 19 after a new mutant strain of covid was identified in this country.

When Britons can travel to Spain safely once again, Brexit will need to be factored in.

The UK has now left the European Union – so what does this mean for holidays and the documents needed?


A valid passport continues to be a vital document for travel.

For post-Brexit travel to the EU, passports must have six months left.

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said in their travel advice: “Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip, and renew your passport if you do not have enough time left on it.

“You must have at least six months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland).

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

“This applies to the whole of Spain, including the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands (Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera).

“If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date.

“Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the six months needed.”

Additionally, your passport may be stamped on entry and exit to Spain.


Visas will not be needed for a standard holiday to Spain but rules have changed now Brexit is done and dusted.

“You can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa,” detailed the FCDO.

“This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training.”

The Foreign Office warned: “If you are travelling to Spain and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the 90-day limit.

“Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel count towards your 90 days.

“To stay longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the Spanish government’s entry requirements. Check with the Spanish Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit, you may need.

“If you stay Spain with a visa or permit, this does not count towards the 90-day visa-free limit.”

The authority added: “Any time you spent in Spain or other Schengen countries before January 1, 2021, does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.”

Residency documents

For those who live in Spain, “appropriate proof of residency documents as well as a valid passport,” is now needed.

The FDO said: “Spanish authorities have clarified that either the A4-size or credit card-sized green EU registration certificates, the ‘Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión Europea’, or the new TIE card, the ‘Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero’ are valid proof of residency for UK nationals who wish to return to their homes in Spain.

“Spanish authorities have confirmed that, as a temporary measure, those UK nationals who can prove that they have started their residency process in Spain, but who do not yet have their TIE card, should be allowed to board flights and return to Spain if they show a valid ‘resguardo de solicitud o renovación de tarjeta de extranjero’ document.

“This temporary measure is in place from January 1, 2021, until January 10, 2021, inclusive.”


The FCDO said Britons may also need to show a return or onward ticket and prove they have enough money for their stay upon entering Spain post-Brexit.

Admin is also required as the covid pandemic continues.

“It is mandatory for all passengers travelling to Spain to fill out and sign a Health Control Form 48 hours prior to travel,” explained the FCDO.

This will confirm travellers have had a negative covid test which is obligatory to enter the country.

Source: Read Full Article