Lufthansa Group is doing a test of its Green Fares on 12 long-haul flights, with Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines and Swiss participating.
The company’s Green Fares include compensation for carbon emissions within the ticket price. This is achieved through a combination of use of sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) and contributions to climate-protection projects, according to Lufthansa.
U.S. routes with Green Fares available are Zurich-Los Angeles and Frankfurt-Miami. The remaining 10 routes are between European gateway cities and destinations in Africa and Asia.
For the long-haul routes, a traveler’s CO2 emissions for that flight are reduced by 10% through the use of sustainable aviation fuel, with the remaining 90% offset by contributions to climate-protection projects, according to the company. Lufthansa began offering Green Fares in Europe in February after a pilot in the Scandinavian market.
The short-haul flights are compensated with 20% use of SAF and 80% offsets.
Since the expansion earlier this year, more than half a million passengers have opted for a Green Fares flight, according to Lufthansa.
Source: Business Travel News
Source: Read Full Article